One of my friends sent this to me via email, so I do not know the origin of this recipe. Both of my kids like this soup. It is vegan and easy to make. Enjoy!
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons chopped garlic (about 2 cloves), plus more to taste
2 cups (200g) chopped leeks (white parts only, from 2 or 3 leeks)
Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt
1 head cauliflower, chopped
7 cups (1.65l) vegetable broth
1/4 cup (35g) raw unsalted cashews or 1/4 cup (35g) blanched slivered raw almonds, soaked
3 tablespoons chopped chives or a grating of nutmeg (optional; choose one, not both), to garnish
1. In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic, leeks, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
2. Add the cauliflower and sauté for another minute.
3. Add the vegetable broth, increase the heat to high, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely tender. Stir the mix periodically and mash the cauliflower with a wooden spoon.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly; stir in the nuts.
5. Pour the soup into your blender (such as a Vitamix) in batches and puree on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
6. Return the soup to the saucepan and warm it over low heat. Stir in salt to taste.
7. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with either chopped chives or grated nutmeg.